Leading a blog about healthy eating poisoned live
The host of a blog about health, good nutrition and diets poisoned agave, mistaking it for aloe vera - right in front of TV viewers. Tells about it Shanghaiist.
According to a resident of Shanghai Zhang, she mistakenly used Agave americana, a poisonous plant that contains various irritants.
26-year-old author of a blog about healthy eating under a nickname Zhang live bit off a part of a dark green leaf, similar to aloe vera. But it turned out that this is not aloe. The girl mixed up the plants. Outwardly, they are very similar.
After the first bite, she says, "It's great." After the second, he realizes that something is wrong, and “aloe” is very bitter.
After such a confusion, the girl was covered with blisters and a rash. The plant burned her mouth. Doctors washed Zhang's stomach to rid her body of the juice of the agave and thereby save lives. Now Zhang’s health is not in danger.
Such a ridiculous mistake could cost a girl life. And the video highlights the potential danger of experimenting with exotic plants.
Agavoid juice contains calcium oxalate crystals, caustic oils, saponins and other compounds that are harmful to the human body. The website of the US Food and Drug Administration website contains many studies on the harmful effects of plants.
The Cornell University of Agricultural and Biological Sciences reported that the plant contains several toxic compounds. Experts call the calcium oxalate crystals incredibly annoying.
On the other hand, aloe vera leaves are harmless - aside from some laxative effects when taken in high doses - and diet and fitness bloggers regularly demonstrate how the leaves are used in cocktails or added to salads.
The outer shell of the plant is often hard and hard, so usually they use only the cleaned inner part of the stem.
As for the agave, they also have culinary use - for example, for the manufacture of alcoholic beverages mezcal and tequila, which are made from fermented pulp. However, an exotic desert plant must be carefully processed in order to avoid unwanted effects.