Foam and cream, micellar and thermal water, gels and serums and even waxes and souffles - the variety of cosmetic preparations and their textures is amazing. But, unfortunately, it happens that a purchased new product with a tempting name causes ... allergies. This often occurs in the winter when the skin is especially vulnerable due to temperature differences.
AiF.ru studied what exactly can cause a negative reaction and how to deal with it.
Fragrances, preservatives, dyes
An allergy to various cosmetics is manifested by standard symptoms: the skin turns red and itches, peeling occurs, watery eyes develop, nasal congestion develops, lips swell, etc. The main difficulty is to determine which component you “reacted” to, not It seems possible, since cosmetics, as a rule, contain a lot of chemical elements. But there are a number of substances that most often provoke an allergic reaction.
First of all - dyes: chemical and mineral paints, which are enriched with chromium compounds. An excess of chromium, which may occur due to regular application to the skin, leads to poisoning of the tissues and, as a result, to dermatitis.
The second dangerous component is preservatives. Such components, although they prevent the growth of bacteria and prolong the duration of the funds, have an extremely negative effect on the proteins in the body and turn them into allergens.
Perfumes are another potentially harmful ingredient. They are also present in many cosmetic products, as they are intended to add fragrance to cosmetics.
Choosing cosmetics in the store, you should very carefully read the information on the packaging. It is important to consider that all components should be listed as their quantities decrease in the product. Therefore, if “dangerous” substances are almost at the top of the list, it is worth giving up on the purchase.
Wash off immediately!
If you have any signs of allergy, you should immediately stop using cosmetics and consult a doctor! It is not recommended to cope with the problem yourself, as there is a risk only to aggravate the situation - for example, applying another irritant cream to the damaged skin.
If the symptoms do not go away after a couple of hours after you have washed the product off the skin, consult a dermatologist or allergist. He will prescribe special drugs - ointments, creams, talkers, which will allow to get rid of the problem to the maximum without a trace.
And in order to protect yourself from allergies, you should pay special attention to the choice of cosmetics. First of all, you should give preference to cosmetics of one brand. Ideally, if it is a proven manufacturer. This is due to the fact that one cosmetic concern uses almost the same means for the manufacture of its preparations. If you make a "hodgepodge", then there is a risk that there will be an overabundance of any components, and this will lead to irritation.
Cosmetics must be used within the expiration date. If the product is left unused for a long time, bacteria will multiply faster in it.
When choosing it is worth refusing strongly flavored options. This indicates the presence of a large number of fragrances in the composition of the cosmetic.
And, of course, decorative cosmetics must be washed off at night. After all, the skin must breathe and recover.
On the subject: Named unexpected makeup hazards
There is a list of substances that most often cause allergies:
- Lanolin (Lanolin) - used for moisturizing effect in masks, creams, gels.
- Silicone (Silica) - is used as an absorbent in hair products.
- Methylparaben (Methylparaben) - a preservative for cream and shampoo, which provokes allergies, skin irritation.
- Propylparaben (Propylparaben) - is used as a preservative for cream and perfume.
- Butyloxytoluene (BHT) is an antioxidant that is included in perfumes and creams.
- Titanium Dioxide is a coloring pigment for decorative cosmetics, soaps and shampoos that can irritate the skin, eyes, and lungs.
- Tocopherol Acetate (Tocopheryl Acetate) is an antioxidant for creams and lotions, used for moisturizing.
- Zinc oxide (Zinc Oxide) - is used as a coloring matter in the shadows, powder, foundation.
- Mineral oil is a moisturizing component for cream and shampoo, but it is not a type of vegetable oil, but the result of processing of harmful petroleum products.
- Thimerosal (Thimerosal) - used in decorative cosmetics, contains mercury, can cause irritation and poisoning.