Cancer is caused not only by a genetic predisposition - there are non-genetic factors that increase the statistics of a deadly disease. "MedicForum" named those that most often provoke him.
Tobacco products are characterized by a significant content of carcinogens, which leads to a close relationship between smoking and cancer.
“It has been established: among hard-core smokers and those who started smoking early, the likelihood of contracting cancer increases almost 30 times,” oncologists state.
What types of cancer most often cause this non-genetic factor? Scientists provide the following data:
- Oral cavity and pharyngeal cancer. Smoking increases its risk by 2-3 times; 10 times - if you smoke more than one pack of cigarettes a day.
- Cancer of the larynx and lung. It is estimated: for the development of lung cancer, a smoking period of 10 to 30 years is required. The greatest risk of lung cancer is inherent in men who start smoking before age 15.
- Esophageal carcinoma. The likelihood of getting it from smoking increases 5 times.
- Pancreas cancer. Its risk in smokers is increased by 2-3 times.
- Bladder and kidney cancer. For smokers, the possibility of suffering increases by 5-6 times.
On the subject: Oncologists have compiled a list of cancer-causing products.
This non-genetic factor causes cancer as well as smoking.
“A body mass index (BMI) of 25 or more is associated with a significant increase in cancer risk. This puts the obesity factor as the second leading cause of cancer in the world, ”according to the Lancet.
Studies show that this factor can increase the risk of developing such cancers:
- uterine cancer
- liver cancer
- gall bladder cancer
- colon cancer
- esophageal carcinoma
- kidney cancer
- mammary cancer
- ovarian cancer
- thyroid cancer
- multiple myeloma.
It is related to the previous factor, but is also a separate cause (this type of fat can be present in the body without being overweight).
"The accumulation of visceral fat in the abdomen can lead to inflammation, which can spread to surrounding organs and contribute to cancer," experts warn.
High blood sugar
A constantly high concentration of glucose depletes the pancreas, which secretes less and less insulin. The consequences are devastating: the body develops inflammation, which causes diabetes and cancer.
The material is published for educational purposes and is not a medical recommendation. ForumDaily Woman is not responsible for the consequences of self-medication and may not share the views of the author or expert.